Thursday, December 16, 2010

This Amazing Life

Even though it was cold yesterday, and today, I am amazed how well I'm dealing with things this year. Winter is my absolute favorite time of year but parts of it can be challenging, the extreme cold and the dark being two of those factors. If it weren't for the dogs being here I actually think I would handle the extreme cold much better since my worries about them being happy and warm outside drive me over the top every season.

So this year we are trying something new, having our 'special' cases in side (Juno, Zephyr, Griffin, Ajax, Buddy and now Chronos) through the cold while the tougher younger generation works things out in their insulated houses with plenty of straw. So far everyone seems to be thriving and, as usual, I am the weak link left to worry about them for no reason.

Last night I let everyone run around and we all enjoyed the -40 degree temperature having fun and realizing that winter doesn't have to be a constant state of worry. There is so much in my life that has changed but my perspective is by far the most profound difference.

I realized we hit the cold temps when I saw James pull out his beaver hat and reached for my fox. Its amazing how warm good fur can keep you, synthetics pale in comparison. They may be good for the folks in the lower 48 states but in -40 and colder you have got to break out the fur or suffer the chill.

The pipes are still busted here in the house but the wood stove is going strong. Thanks to James L we picked up a load of spruce at Northland and are staying warm and toasty with some high quality stuff! It was so much fun loading up a full size truck bed in -35. Working in the cold definitely gives you an appreciation for how self sustaining one can be when moving. The only complaint he and I had at the end was our hands getting a little cold but overall we were thriving!!

We are making plans now for spring repairs on the house and wont know just what is involved until after break up has passed. That is a long ways off and as a musher Im not ready to think about the season ending just yet. There are still a lot of things I want to do with the dogs on our trails but at this present moment we are still working on repairs to the dog truck and getting closer to finishing up the final painting details (sneak peek photo at the top of this post). Once the warm weather comes again we will be ready to hit the trail in style with all repairs complete and our gear ready for LOTS of action!! :)