Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Busiest Month of them All!!

Sorry for the lack of updates, been super busy here, as we expected to be. March always keeps us on our toes. There are too many things to get caught up on at the moment so this update will be brief.

We have been taking quite a few clients out these past few weeks and getting the dogs a rest when we can. They have been working very hard, actually we all have, and its been nice to catch breaks when and where we can.

James L's parents came up for a visit so we took them out for a dog sled ride yesterday. James took both of them in his sled while I ran ahead with a small team of six. Half way out on the trail I realized I hadnt run that few dogs in my team for about eight years!!! Im usually comfortable with 10 to 12 but six, wow, that was a total flashback to the old days!! :)

Even with such a small team my guys were FLYIN'! We had to slow down a bit for James to keep up but his team did very well. We can tell Maude is slowing down so we arent sure if she will be running all that much next year. Coyote is holding up very well though and James is loving having him in his team. Hes a trooper!

My small six dog team on the trapline trail that Ive grown to love so much.
Hermes and Calypso in lead, Zephyr in swing, Eli in team, Thani and Boreas in wheel.

It was a bit hard realizing that out of those I traveled this trail with so many years ago are gone but one, Griffin was still with me but not pulling in the team. Mercury of course is still here at home but its clear now that I am working solidly with the third generation.


On the way back my guys were still full of juice and not wanting to slow down through the most exciting part of the trail where all the moose are. I put Juno in the sled a few times for weight but since she doesn't weigh all that much it only slowed them a little. Then I put Griffin in the sled, now that did the trick! They slowed down nicely and Griffin got to have the royal treatment being pulled by his children! :)

It was a bit interesting seeing him up there, I had another flash back to carrying his mother, Aquila, the same way, down the same trail, when she started having trouble keeping up. It wasn't long after that that she passed away from health related complications... its hard to realize these guys are getting older but Griffin remains the picture of health and is still so spry that he can still keep up very well with the team. And considering that his father is doing so wonderfully at 13 years of age its a good bet neither will be leaving us any time soon...

This year I have also been looking in the mirror and seeing a change. My body is growing a bit older too and my face is changing. I can now officially say I have wrinkles! :)

Its things like these that are the way we mark the passage of time, it is a clear reminder of where we have been, what we have accomplished and what we have to look forward to. In our case, our future is in the pups that are on the ground here now. Eight in all mark the start of our fourth generation and the latest milestone in my 14 year mushing career.

What a life this has been... I'm looking forward to what is around the next bend!

Griffin rides in the sled being pulled by his faithful children! :)

Next entry we get back to my adventure with Mary Shields. Jon and Jona Van Zyle...