Monday, August 8, 2011

Going Native

Many would argue Ive already gone native quite some time ago! But Ive never actually owned an anorak parka which is something every native Alaskan should own or have at least used once during their life in Alaska.

I did have the opportunity to borrow one from my friend Robert for a sled dog race a few years back. That one was small, form fitting and quite warm! You can see a bit of it in one of the photos I use for my artist biography info (on left).

That anorak was a very traditional type style, no zippers, form fitting and very hard to take on and off. I usually change out jackets, sweaters, gloves, face masks, etc while driving my dog sled but changing out a traditional anorak takes concentration. Even one with zippers requires full concentration to get it on and off which could easily lead to a lost dog team if this is tried while they are moving.

The one I have been creating is the traditional type but does have a zipper installed at the top for ventilation and easier removal over the head while wearing hats, scarves or face masks. It is based off a Siberian anorak pattern and changed along the way to be more what the native Alaskans have used.

I have learned a lot from this process and came to find that a traditional quilted type material is great for the lining that touches the body (shown here in dark green) while the middle lining (white) is a light weight material designed to keep body heat in.

The outer layer (brown) is a German wool army blanket cut into the shapes of the pattern and sewn over section by section to encase the white inner layer of the anorak to protect it and add a lot of extra warmth.

As you can see from the photos it is not quite finished yet, there are still more wool sections to add on and last night there was also a bit more length added as well when I realized that the original length I had cut would not be long enough. It seems a bit more like a dress now but will shorten up a bit when the seams are put in for the final hem.

But, even when this wool outer layer is complete there is still more work to do!

I am working on crafting an outer canvas layer that will not only provide more protection from the cold but from the dogs jumping up on me as well. The outer canvas layer will be the same pattern and will be removable so when I'm breaking trail in deep snow so I can still have protection and a lot of breathing room without the added heat of the wool layer underneath.

What is also nice about the outer canvas layer is that is where the style will be, our kennel patch a few other details that I will show once it comes along a bit more.

Do to the intensity of this project (since it is ALL hand sewn) I have put my diamond willow wood work on hold so this anorak can be complete. It was a good choice seeing as how fall seems to be coming a bit early and our snow may not be far behind! I may be putting this anorak to the test a lot sooner than I had planned! :)

I am looking forward to getting back to working with my knife. Salmon fishing is just around the corner and may be a good time to fit in some carving while waiting for the fish to come by. We will see, either way I am excited to have this anorak project finished and in use so I can get back to the diamond willow that will also have a HUGE impact on my life when it is finished. More details to come!