Saturday, July 10, 2010

Busted!!

The end of my week was rather lame, a pop in the head by a three legged dog and a full black eye to grace my face four hours later (as seen in the photo), another 12 and it spread and darkened even more. Not my idea of fun but the world does give you what you need when you need it.

Sometimes it takes a heavy blow to the head to let one know to slow down, other times it takes a nail being driven through a foot to force some rest. These things really aren't bad in the sense that most see them, they are gifts and answers to what we are secretly longing for.

For weeks Ive secretly wished for rest, knowing I couldn't have it until at least September. I pressed on, and on, and on... until this.

I went home early from the Quest show when my eye started to darken, hanging out in the dog pen was not the best PR with an ice pack on my face talking about sled dogs. Who the heck would believe me that the damage was dog inflicted? Only mushers would know... and its ironic that Ive been smacked in the head so many times by wild and crazy dogs but this one shot gives me my first black eye ever.

I'm a little ashamed to admit but I'm damn proud of this one! Its not just a little bruise, its IMPRESSIVE!! :) Its much darker today... Too bad I don't have a better story behind it like a horrific sledding accident where the dogs saved my life or a bar fight where 'you should have seen the other guy'. Nothing quite so grand, just a crazy dog so anxious to get to the show to receive attention from the public and showers of biscuits. Hard not to get excited over that...

With a few days rest under my belt, and feeling oh so good, I'm going to try and get back to work today on my last day off. Tomorrow I'm arming myself with sunglasses and a smile to get back to talking with the public and, most importantly, spending time with the dogs.

I know what your thinking, why not continue to take it easy? I certainly have a good reason too.. Well, this morning I was seriously achy, not in the body but in the soul. I miss my kids, I miss them more than words can possibly explain. Sure the show is a break in my day, it takes time to drive out and back and I could do without answering the same question over and over and over but Ive come to realize that those moments are actually the highlight of my week.

Barely interrupted I get to nuzzle, brush and fawn over my kids in a job where I'm required to do so. At home we still have office time but mostly its me at my desk and the dogs at my feet with a separation of our minds while I work that is hard to get around.

Its not like being on the trail where they are my world and I am theirs, summer in the office is mostly about work, getting things done and paying the bills. Its not too glorious, and even though there are dog heads to scratch when I'm interrupted by them, its nothing like being at the show. I never would have dreamed it would be so therapeutic to be there, not until this morning.

And so Zephyr continues to work his magic on us all. His therapy is wonderful to dogs, humans and now directly to myself. Without this black eye I would never have gotten the recharge I needed or felt the longing and importance of the summer Quest show.

That day I went home nearly killed me... it was so hard to load the boys into the Jeep early. They were enjoying themselves so much and behaving so well. They were on cloud nine in the sun eating cookies, as was I... not eating the cookies part but seeing and feeling them so happy and loving life... well, that's about as contagious as sunshine, you have no choice but to bask in its warmth...

I love these kids so very much... they have shown me the world many times over... without them I would be so lost...